Name:

Just passin' through

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Here I go again...attempting to make a profound point

I hate rules, especially when they come from the church. I hate how Christians make up rules that aren't in the Bible and then enforce these rules and judge others for not living up to them. 'Legalism' is the Christian buzz word for this (ex: No smoking, no drinking, no listening to heavy metal music, no watching R rated movies, no eating meat, no mo-hawks, no poop jokes or pooping in general, and no being friends with people who do these things).

HOWEVER.... I want to make a rule.

If you've ever worked as a waiter/waitress, you know that everyone hates to work Sundays at lunch time because you get all the church people who never tip. I was eating lunch w/ my good friend Joseph Hatcher after church the other day. We made sure we tipped very generously to try to prove the stereotype wrong. As we were discussing the tragedy of religious people being cheap, Joseph made the comment "If you're at a restaurant, and you pray before the meal, you better tip at least 20%." The more I thought about it, the more I thought how much that should be the case. So here it is, my new rule: If you pray before a meal, you must tip 20% (unless it's horrible service, i guess). Any time we are put in a situation where we are representing Christ and His followers, we should do every thing we can to avoid turning people off to the God we claim to know (even though it's bound to happen). And maybe we should even act in a way that might make someone think "God is better than I thought he was" (a.k.a. tipping 21%).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like to be friends with people who poop. ;)

I know lots of people whose kids aren't allowed to watch Spongebob. . .which is totally their perrogative, and I, in fact, give a nod of respect, b/c so many people don't give a crap what their kids watch. But I keep watching Spongebob, with my guys, when I'm at my Mom's (b/c we don't have t.v. here), and I can't for the life of me find anything objectionable. . .unless you don't like jokes about underwear.

I don't know why I shared all that, except to say that I'm o.k. with poop and underwear jokes. :)

And lastly, I'll be glad to adhere to the tip rule. I've waited tables before.

9:31 PM  
Blogger EAM said...

Bonnaroo? Martin? Bonnaroo? Martin?

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home