Name:

Just passin' through

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Epiphany part 27

A while back, I chatted with this guy I know through mutual friends. He, in my opinion, is one of the godliest guys I've ever met. He understands the Gospel pretty much more than anyone I know. The following has since completely changed my outlook on godliness.

He asked me for my advice on a spiritual topic, then on how to communicate it, then seemed genuinely gracious for my sub-par wisdom. I was like "are you kidding me? you want MY advice? I should be asking and learning from YOU." You're thinking that I'm going to say how complimented I was that this guy would come to me. No, not at all. I was confused. That's like Alex Rodriguez coming to me for advice on hitting a baseball. I think the answer is that he genuinely saw himself as Christians are supposed to see themselves: not having arrived and desperately needing Jesus; and that whatever we are, it is completely by the grace of God, so we can boast in nothing. Meaning, his humility was real.

Conclusion:
If we could somehow ask God who the 10 holiest people in the world were, I bet those 10 have not the slightest clue that they'd even be considered in the top million.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home