Name:

Just passin' through

Monday, November 12, 2007

It's just something to say

In the past 72 months (6 yrs), I have only received a "congratulations Martin, that's awesome" during 3 of those months. Two months were all in regards to my college graduation and high school graduation and all given by people over the age of 28. The other month was right after I got a job. Zero of those months were after my fantasy baseball victory.
Now I don't poo-poo any congratulatory comments I receive, but at the same time, school was generally easy. Can you tell me how many people that start college never finish (pregnant women excluded)? Like maybe 3%. Meaning, the congratulations doesn't mean much...it feels more of like just something you say because you don't know what else to say. That's probably the reason why no one my age said congratulations.....it's because it's expected of you...it's not a big deal. You have failed if you didn't graduate. It's like rewarding your elementary schooler for flushing the toilet....it's what you're supposed to do. To me and most others, the congratulations is really more of "hey, you reached the next stage in life" rather than "wow, what a great feat you have accomplished". Which, in that case, we should have been congratulated on reaching puberty. At the same time, I myself will probably give out many "congratulations on graduating college" to future generations simply because it's what you're supposed to say even though it doesn't mean anything; I, like my culture, have plenty of insincere comments left to give.

3 Comments:

Blogger - A said...

Maybe we can start making: "Congratulations you hit puberty cards"
I see a real market

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the fantasy baseball win. I was able to pull out the victory in mine too. Quite an accomplishment I must say, as they dont come about every day.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Boo hoo my name's martin and I need attention. Someone congratulate me Boo Hoo ***** digital tears

p.s. almost 99% sure im coming to atlanta in january. ill be living in smyrnasty

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home