Name:

Just passin' through

Monday, November 26, 2007

Help without exception?

Friends and I decided we would provide Thanksgiving dinner for a family who cannot afford it. The ministry that hooked us up w/ the family gave us the members of the family’s names, their phone number, and address. It was a mom and her three kids....all of them had different last names. My heart hardened a little as I didn't care to help them as much as I did originally.

I pictured a woman who was irresponsible with the men she chose to have kids with. Who probably didn't even want a good man so much as she wanted kids. Who wanted kids so she can get more money and help from her baby's daddies and her government. Who wants to live her life dependent on hand outs from other people. Who doesn't care to take responsibility by NOT having another child without a dad present.

Of course there's no way to know the truth, but what if this family was as I stereotyped/unfairly judged them? Should I still help them? Should we be helping those in need regardless of their situation, even if it only serves to keep them in their state of dependency and irresponsibility? This just got me thinking about how much discretion should be used (if any) when helping a person in need get their need met. What about Proverbs where it says whoever doesn't labor shall not eat? At the same time, how many times have we demanded God to give us something because we think we are owed it when have done nothing to deserve it....and God still, despite our ungratefulness and reverence, still blesses us. I have a tough time reconciling the two sides.

P.S. We delivered the food Monday night; she thanked us; we went on our way. She was even more thankful when we came back the following night because we forgot to give her the 1lb of cheddar cheese to complete the macaroni & cheese dish. I'm glad we helped her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home