Name:

Just passin' through

Friday, October 13, 2006

Epiphany part 2

It hit me like a flour filled tube sock the other day what people like Mark Driscoll, my mom, Steve Brown, and Stephen McGuire have said before.

[Mark Driscoll: "I don't care if you have tattoos and drink at bars, I just care that you love Jesus."

Mom: "the whole reason for not sinning is because that takes away from our relationship with God. We want more of him, so we don't want to sin."

Steve McGuire: "I have really just seen that what I need most deeply is to know and enjoy Christ, not as a means to something else, but as an end in itself. And as this happens, everything else seems to just fall into perspective."

Steve Brown: his entire scandalous freedom book]

My conclusion was that I need to not set my focus on motivations for seeking God; for I will always have self lurking in the background, and will often feel guilt which interferes with enjoying God. Yes, I should be mindful of my motivations, but they shouldn't be the object of my focus. Instead, I should simply make enjoying Christ my goal; everything else will take care of itself. How freeing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home