Name:

Just passin' through

Friday, August 17, 2007

Most memorable Braves game of June 2006

June something, 2006 I went to a Braves game with some friends from Athens. We were 3 innings late, the Braves ended up losing, and the kiss cam didn't do it for me. As we were walking back to my car that was parked in a back lot of a ghetto apartment complex, a black woman wearing only a purple bra and twitching all over (obvious crack addict), came up to our group that pretended to not notice her.
Scary lady: "I've been watching ya'lls car this entire time so I know you guys are going to help me out."
Martin: Oh thanks, I appreciate it.
(she continues to walk with us to our car)
Scary lady: I told those guys to keep watch of ya'lls car so I know you will give me some money.
(we finally get to the car)
Scary lady: Alright now what you guys got for me?!
(we pooled together about $2.00 in change)
Scary lady: Oh come on now! I watched yo' car! I know you guys got more!
Martin: Mam, maybe if you were more grateful, we would help you.


Over a year later, I still recall that whole scene and wish so bad that it had been like this:
Scary lady: I told those guys to keep watch of ya'lls car so I know you will give me some money.
(Martin pulls her aside as the group continues to walk)
Martin: Hey what's your name? I want to help you out but I don't think money will do it. You're a pretty woman, I wish you wouldn't harm yourself with those drugs. I'll tell you what...here, here's my shirt, put it on. I don't know how else to communicate that you are worth much more than you think. Here's my number in case you have any more clothing needs:) You have a good evening now.

....but unfortunately, I'm not Jesus. Yeah she probably didn't want help anyways. She might have been insulted and mad. She might have ignored me and gone on to another group of people that could better help her get her next fix. But then maybe it'd be something that would stick with her for longer than that just that evening. Maybe someone else who gets the Gospel better than I do showed up that night and helped her out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really moved me, Martin. I don't know why exactly. I've had similar encounters at Brave's games (though the people were always clothed). . .usually the gas can thing. I always think in terms of how I should be responding to people in light of the gospel, but I don't think I'd ever thought in terms of what those folks are WORTH. If we always thought about how God views them (as children created in His image, like WE are), maybe the interactions would be more compassion filled and less filled with awkward glances and hurrying to move on.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home