Name:

Just passin' through

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

America, the country of loneliness

Watched God Grew Tired of Us (Brad Pitt, Angelina, Nicole Kidman all had their hands on this production). Recommend it to all. A documentary that holds your attention the entire time. The main Sudanese guy who was brought to America to work so he could provide for his friends and families' problems back home said this about America:

"America is so lonely. All everyone does is work. There is no time to come home and tell stories with your friends. Life is hard. I look forward to going back to Africa." (i paraphrased)

The pessimistic Martin says "There is no way to live in America and escape this loneliness and have true community."
The realistic Martin says "There is no way to live in America and escape this loneliness and have true community."

Ireland or bust!

2 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Davis said...

The optimistic Joseph says: "If there is a way to live in America and escape this loneliness and have true community, its extremely rare.. and I definately want it."

5:49 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I am really selfish with my time outside of work--I think this has something to do with why I lack community. I absolutely hate it that in the "real world" friends only hang out together on the weekends, mostly.

--

If someone has the financial ability to (and doesn't have a family), I think it is worthwhile to cut back on work hours to make time for more ministry, more relationships, just more life-living in general.

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home